Science Rules!

Welcome to Science Rules!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ask A Scientist

Last week we were assigned the task of going to the ask a scientist website and we were to post a question. Well, I dutifully asked, and I did not get an answer. Which is fine, because, as Dr. Lyman, our instructor had warned, we might not get a response from said scientist. Unfortunately for me, I still had to find the answer to my question.

I mean not to speak badly of ask a scientist. Maybe the scientist was busy last week. I was not the only one posting questions. There are many people in the class, and I am assuming that I am not the only one who was assigned this assignment. If I am, I will be very upset. Or maybe the scientist is off on vacation. After all, it is summer, and unlike yours truly who is tirelessly working on course work, the scientist is done with hers (I know, "or his", I have to support the girls in male dominated fields, you know!).

As I stated before, I was on my own to answer my question. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my question. Gasp! I know, but hey, it's summer and I live in the desert. It's hot over here. My brain cells are burning up, faster than you can say "ask a scientist".

Luckily I found my question. Thank goodness for saving my work on my flash drive! How do cells differentiate between what can pass through the cell wall and what stays out? How is this helping with treatment of diseases? So I proceeded to ask Google. Good old Google has never disappointed. Google would answer my question!

Google had no idea.

I did not find the answer to my questions. I did, however, find some really nice websites on cell walls. I have attached the links for your perusal.

New World Encyclopedia
Cell Wall

Biology 4 Kids
Cell Wall

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ana,
    One of the big draw backs of ask a scientist is its unreliability to answer questions timely enough to make it useful in instruction. I was glad to see that your question was answered; however, in instruction the unpredictability of their responses can be a deterrent.

    ReplyDelete